As much as anyone in our generation hates to admit that
technology has taken over our lives, it is hard to fight the facts. Nicholas
Carr’s article Is Google Making Us
Stupid? questions the harsh, tech-filled world we are now faced with.
Beginning with the fact that hardly anyone anymore can sit down and read a book
without ample distraction, Carr offers insight into our brains and their
adaptations. I have experienced this syndrome myself—I sit down with a good
read, and in seconds my mind wanders to Facebook, Twitter, or, my new favorite,
Vine.
Despite the seeming horror or negativity that comes to mind
when we start to think of our mind and focus drifting, it does correlate to an
explainable phenomenon—evolution. As our brains are being used more and more
for “info-snacking” and less and less for deep thought and analysis of lengthy
written word, they begin to change by default. I mean, who wants a brain that
would overload if it had to jump between topics rapidly? Would we see people’s
heads popping open as these less-abled brains came into contact with the world
that we live in (i.e. a Facebook page)? It’s an outlandish thought, but I
wanted to make my point clear—this is not the catastrophe that some make it out
to be, merely an evolutionary skill that our intelligent brains are taking
advantage of.
Carr makes it clear that this is not the first time that
this has happened either. With inventions like the clock, the computer, the
calculator, and even the written word, we saw major changes in the way we
thought and the way we lived. We abandoned the “old way” and adapted to a new,
better form of living. And with each step, there was always criticism. Even
Socrates ridiculed the “technology” of his day, saying that writing things down
would make people less inclined to remember information, and more conceited. Yet
Carr concedes, “[Socrates] couldn’t forsee the many ways that writing and
reading would serve to spread information, spur fresh ideas, and expand human
knowledge.”
So maybe Google is not making us stupid, it is simply
changing the way we think, and all we have to do is learn how to use our brains
correctly. I once had it explained to me as if my attention were light. I had
to learn to switch from my mind’s default of a weak floodlight, where my
attention was spread thin, to a strong spotlight, with an acute, intense focus.
This thought is tandem to Foreman’s idea of “pancake people.” We must learn to
consciously make decisions on the way we use our brains to make the most of
them.
Like most things, I am privy to believing that education is
key. A hot, new show, Brain Games,
offers a fun and inventive way to learn about our brains. The show features
illusions, deceptions and tricks that you can’t help but fall for because of
how our brains are wired. One episode that came to mind while reading Carr’s
article was about time and our brains interpretation of it. It shows that
despite a systematic clock, time is in fact malleable. Our brains can make time
feel faster or slower depending on the experience. Don’t believe me? Check out Brain Game’s website here.
For these reason’s I don’t have the looming fear that Carr
depicts in his dark 2001: A Space Odyssey
quote. I think that the changes that we are all facing are clearly explainable,
and controllable. We are not losing the ability to read a book quietly; we are
gaining the ability to skim information with efficiency. Through education and
practice, the deep focus glorified in the reading is easily attainable. So I
guess the answer to the question is “No, Google is not making us stupid.” Our
brains are, and will always be, a force to be reckoned with.
Hi Hannah. I hope you're summer's going well.
ReplyDeleteMy question for you is, are you sure that there is nothing lost with our new gains?
I do agree that we are accumulating new skills that are better adapted to the modern lifestyle of today. Still, I wonder about what abilities we are leaving behind in favor of "info snacking." You said yourself that you can't sit down to read without becoming distracted frequently. Is the new habit of skimming not more akin to that watery floodlight than the high-intensity beam that you mentioned?
Hey Hannah! Hope all is going well with you and your days are filled with excellent summer adventures.
ReplyDeleteA couple of AP Comp reminders:
In addition to writing your own posts, make sure you are doing some reading and replying to your classmates’ blogs. You can find a list of blog addresses at my web page.
Also, you should be well along in your non-fiction book. Hope it’s a good one, and I look forward to reading more about it once school starts.
Finally, we will be doing vocabulary quizzes the first week of class, so make sure you’re finding some good words.
Let me know if you have any questions, and savor the last few weeks of summer! (Nice posts, also: I really like how you're starting to incorporate hyperlinks into your digital writing).
Erin, as I described towards the end of my blog, I think that education is the key. I don't think all is lost with these new adaptive skills because we can learn to retain the old-styled skills we have. People often don't realize the power their brain has when they put their mind to something. With practice and coaching it is really easy to reach a point of "cohesion" as psychologists call it. In this state you are mentally and physically balanced to a point that it has been proven to enhance memory recall, athletic performance, and general mental acuity. Even today there are established techniques for this that just aren't widely known. I think that we could all benefit from more knowledge about our bodies, and especially brains. Implementing a required course on this type of psychology in school may be the way to go in the future.
ReplyDeleteCarr pointed out in his article that study's have been done to show that our brains adjust how they receive and retain information based on the the technology that is introduced to us. I agree with your point that it's not necessarily the Internet or Google that's destroying our ability to concentrate, but rather, we have to use practice and education as a way to "train our brain" in a sense to develop our ability to concentrate and retain information.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree Anna! Education is key! (:
ReplyDeleteYes, our brains are adapting to this change, but are our surroundings? Teachers and professors expect us to read lengthy, in-depth articles and be able to give a thorough and thoughtful examination. Our mind making connections faster than we can process them hinders rather than helps our learning experience as a whole. As for after schooling, some careers demand a deep and focused brain rather than one that knows how to use a hashtag. I agree that this new style of "brainwashing" could be a productive and efficient thing, but I think that wont happen until the far future.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Elizabeth on this one! Teachers are expecting us to read longer novels. Usually novels that we don't have an interest in reading. I personally can't keep up with it. Then I end up relying on the internet to help me out. As if I didn't catch the story the first time, all of this new technology will provide me with the basics and sometimes even more than the basics. I believe society is dependent too much on technology. I do have to agree though that I am part of this dependance on technology...if only there was just some way to change it?
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with most of this. I think teachers could find better ways to fit reading into our classrooms. Like Mr. Kunkle! We were allowed to pick which book we wanted read which made it more enjoyable! There is no way to completely remove technology from our lives, it's impossible. We have grown up in a world that truly is dependent on technology. We just need ways to balance it out.
DeleteKat and Elizabeth, I think that it is true that our educational system is not keeping up with all of the technological advances of our time. However, as most jobs do require in-depth thinking and focus, there is no way around the inevitable. Our education must prepare us for the future, and as long as our future includes jobs of these sort, our education must reflect it.
ReplyDeleteIt is true that our brains are adapting, but they are adapting to what we are experiencing. For this reason, the teenager who spends all of his or her time on the internet is akin to an unfocused, scattered information intake.
The job of our education is to teach us how to effectively deal with this and use our brains in the most efficient manner for both info-snacking and in-depth reading. I will concede that our education system has not yet developed a program to effectively educate its students on their brains, but it will come with time.